The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next

Go down

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A - Page 27 Empty Re: Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:23 pm

"Some," Marenne nodded, "but not much. We actually have to import our white spider silk. My mother is the only spider-master in town, and it's already so much work just keeping the golden spiders - to keep others would be far too much for her."

She tipped her head slightly. "Would you like me to see how much we have left in stock? It usually goes quite quickly, so I'm not sure ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A - Page 27 Empty Re: Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:56 pm

"Yes please," Holly nodded.

She wondered where they imported from, it might be worth knowing the country in case they ended up there, and they must might if the group hadn't been there already.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:30 pm

Marenne disappeared into a side room and was back shortly with a bolt of shimmering white fabric in hand.

"It looks like about three and a half yards," she said, bringing it to Holly and holding it for her to feel it. "A bit more, but if you want it I'll price it at three and a half."

It was only fair, after all.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:51 pm

Holly thought about it, it wouldn't be enough for her two side projects and it certainly wouldn't be enough for her master project. Well, she could do at least one of her projects and then wait to see about her master.

"I'll take that, just as a price point, how much would it be?" she asked.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:03 pm

"Normally, regular spider silk is fifty lari per yard," Marenne explained, "but since we're down to the last few yards and likely won't be getting more for quite a while, I can let you have it for twenty per. Seventy lari in total."

She caressed a corner of the fabric. "It's just not enough material to interest most people."

As Holly had already realized, it wouldn't be enough for a large project.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:22 pm

Holly thought about it, "I'll take this then, it'll be enough for a vest project I had in mind."

Her capelet could wait, but she wanted to make the vest.

"Just out of curiousity since the group I live with travel a lot, where do you get your silk imported from?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:00 am

"Shiezin," Marenne replied with a smile. "Unfortunately, aside from Eausin, it's the only bordering country we're on good terms with, and there really isn't an economy to do business with in Eausin, since they only come on land to raise their young."

There was a wistful tone in her voice, as if she regretted that there was no trade with Eausin - or perhaps it was that the country didn't have good relations with the other countries that it shared borders with.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:35 pm

"I think I have heard of that country," Holly murmured.

She wondered if that meant it was a country the group had visited before having met Holly and Rose. It might mean it was unlikely she could buy the silk from the source country, which was a bit of a pity, but maybe the country trade to other places, or other countries had it.

"Eausin is a nice country, pity the elves there have no interest for things on land from the sounds of it though..." at least that is what Holly managed to observe.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:54 pm

"Well, it is their decision," Marenne reminded Holly with a gentle smile. "Asking them to take an interest in things on land would be like asking we town-folk to start living in the forest. We could, but we choose not to."

She set the bolt of cloth on the counter. "Anyways, I"ll get this wrapped for you. If you don't mind, I'd like the bolts you brought. The patches are beautiful as well but the bolts will go farther."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:00 pm

Holly nodded, "I figured as much. Patches are more useful if you have something specific in mind..."

And from time to time, Holly did have something specific, but really the patches were better for simple clothing than for some elaborate outfit.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:14 pm

The transaction completed, Marenne bid Holly a good day and extended her an invitation to return at any time - especially if she wanted to trade again, as she wouldn't mind a chance to get a few of Holly's patches.

When Holly left the shop, Rose was just coming towards it and looking none too pleased. It wasn't hard to see why. There was dirt on her skirt and a tear in her cloak - her prized red cloak - with dirt all around it. She was limping ever so slightly, though the glances she was casting at her cloak showed what she was really annoyed about.

"Ah, you're done in there," she said when she spotted Holly. "How did it go? Did you get what you wanted?"

She tried to smile but it looked more like a grimace, and though she didn't mean it personally, her tone was a bit curt.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:16 pm

"What happened?" Holly exclaimed instead.

It looked like Rose had taken a bad fall, at least she hoped it was a bad fall! It was a pity about the cloak too, but Holly could do something about the cloak.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:22 pm

Rose glared at the tear in her cloak again. "Streets are way too crowded, even without animals," she muttered. "Some guy was riding a horse way too fast and knocked me flying. It's probably not as bad as it looks but I'm still really annoyed."

Her cloak was probably her most prized possession.

She looked to Holly, and her expression turned hopeful. "You can fix the tear, right?"

She didn't care about her skirt, but she wanted her cloak back in one piece.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:57 pm

Holly carefully squated down and checked the cloak to see where it had teared. Though she already knew the moment Rose mentioned it, that it was most likely to not be at the seam. Cloaks were often made from a single panel of cloth.

"I could, but it would be noticeable...." Holly murmured.

It was at the bottom though, she could cut it shorter, but that might not be what Rose wanted.

"Could cut the bottom, or could just make a embroider pattern to line the bottom to cover up where it's been sewed shut.. or could just sew it shut and leave it."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:16 am

Rose still looked sad, despite the options she was given.

"Knowing you, if you got what you were looking for today, you're going to be working on a project for a while," she sighed sadly. "Maybe if you have the time eventually, you could embroider something to cover it ... but for now I guess just sewing it will work."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:03 am

"I'll try to make it the least noticeable as possible," Holly assured her friend, "As long as you're alright that's all that matters."

Nearly being run over by a horse was no small thing after all.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:14 am

Rose sighed. "A hot soak and a good night's rest and I'm sure I'll be fine." She grimaced. "And now I've completely forgotten why I came out here in the first place. I'm not even sure I was looking for you ..."

Well, she would figure it out eventually. And clearly, it mustn't have been important.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:40 pm

"Maybe it'll come back to you after a bit of rest," Holly offered, "Let's head back and I'll at least get the cloak mended okay?"

She imagined Rose was distracted by the fact she nearly got run over and that her favourite cloak got ruined.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:45 pm

Rose nodded and went back with Holly to Makaela's parents' home.

When they arrived, there were two horses tethered at the gate, and two men heading into the house. Rose tensed immediately upon seeing them.

"That's him," she told Holly, almost in a growl, elbowing her gently and nodding towards the two men. "That's the guy who hit me."

Clearly, she wasn't going to forgive him anytime soon.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:57 pm

"I hope they're not related to Makaela then, because this will become awkward," Holly admitted.

Rose could hold a grudge sometimes, not that Holly would blame her in this case.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:07 pm

"Part of me wants to just go in the tent and ignore him," Rose muttered under her breath, glaring at the doorway the two men had just entered, "but part of me wants to go in there and give him what-for."

Before Holly could caution her not to - she knew her friend would prevent her from doing anything particularly stupid - she turned to Holly and added, slightly more calmly, "Don't worry, I won't make a mess of our situation here."

Much as it might feel good.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:21 pm

Holly smiled, resisting the urge to pat Rose, "Let's get you a nice hot bath."

It would at least make Holly feel better.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:38 pm

Rose set her jaw and headed silently towards the tent with Holly.

There were a few people in the foyer when the girls entered, and Daenis was passing through, on her way to the kitchen. She paused when she saw the two of them, and the dirt on Rose's clothes and face.

"Are you all right?" she asked, surprised by her appearance.

Rose's eye twitched. "Run down by a horse," she said flatly. "And I just saw the guy who hit me heading into the house here."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:49 pm

Holly chuckled a bit, poor Rose. It was going to take a bit for her to get over that.

"Come on, the sooner you get clean the better you'll feel," she ushered Rose along.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:24 pm

Rose allowed Holly to help her get ready for a good hot soak, and when everything was ready she handed her cloak over to Holly to be repaired.

When Holly passed back through the foyer again, Makaela was waiting for her.

"How is Rose doing?" she asked anxiously. "Daenis told me she was hit by a horse, possibly by my father ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 33 ... 40  Next