The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inching through Illsbruic - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Inching through Illsbruic - 119 4A - Page 6 Empty Re: Inching through Illsbruic - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Mon May 18, 2015 12:05 am

The problem was Lin didn't like the idea of her son going with just Shoneah. They really couldn't have a large group coming down there, it would look suspicious.

"First, we need a good reason to ask around for him," Eron replied in turn, "Without that, no matter who it is, it's going to look suspicious."

"Hey Lashrael, did you have anything on you that came from Jassin or might point a complete stranger in his direction?" Miyuki asked curiously.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Inching through Illsbruic - 119 4A - Page 6 Empty Re: Inching through Illsbruic - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Mon May 18, 2015 12:07 am

Lashrael looked at Miyuki, confused. "You mean something that belongs to him?" she asked.

She didn't understand why Miyuki was asking such a question, but she was equally curious to know what she was thinking.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon May 18, 2015 12:12 am

"Well.... I'm not sure if he was exact in how you 'died' but seeing as we are coming from the village, and had a close encounter with the lake gas, and you were supposed to be investigating how the village perished. What if we said we stumbled across your work that you left behind, and it pointed us into the direction of the base. We came here to give closure to that investigation, and we only knew about it from whatever you might have left behind. Granted not much survives after five centuries, but.... it's an excuse to ask around for anyone connected to you without raising too much concern," Miyuki explained.

It was the only thing she could think of, because if they were any where near suspicious as Lashrael was when she first met them, Miyuki figured they couldn't just go around ask without a cover story.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon May 18, 2015 12:15 am

Lashrael blinked, surprised at the suggestion; but the more she thought about it, the more she liked it.

"I have my notebooks," she suggested. "Jassin and I worked together whenever he was there, and then after that I worked on my own ... they're old, and they're not in the greatest shape, but I still have them."

They had really been the only things she had brought with her. She didn't think there was anything in any of them that referred to either her or Jassin specifically, but-

"Wait," she exclaimed suddenly, "there's a letter in there, too - an official letter from the High Commander sent to me, by Jassin, ordering me to carry out the investigation. It's a forgery, but it worked five hundred years ago ... and Jassin's name is on it as my official liaison to the base."

That would work, she was sure of it.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon May 18, 2015 12:24 am

"That would work," Miyuki smiled.

She was relieved it was actually a viable plan, she was worried there would be too many holes in it. The kitsune wasn't sure how much people would believe the good will of others.

Miyuki added, "And then Shoneah won't have to go alone, though it might be easier having her do the talking."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon May 18, 2015 12:27 am

"Then I'll go," Andarien said again, sitting up as if it would make his words more authoritative.

"It would have to be someone who at least looks Earth Elven," Lashrael said quietly, glancing at Andarien. "No one else would be trusted. They would question how anyone else even got into the country."

With that comment, she glanced at Kyrie, who simply smiled and shrugged.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon May 18, 2015 12:37 am

Miyuki sighed, "We don't have anyone else who comes as close as Shoneah. I can make myself look elven, but the hair and eye colour stays the same."

Miyuki's own shapeshifting (however limited) was something she never had to use, simply because it never mattered to her before.

"Though..." Miyuki paused and thought about it.

The kitsune had always taken illusions like a duck did to water, but she often used them as a distraction or form of storytelling, using them as a disguise however....

"I guess one could use illusions to change skin, hair and eye colour.... can't do anything for height. Well you could... but it wouldn't be solid and that would cause trouble, but you could change someone's looks otherwise. I'm not sure how much energy that would take?"

She looked over to Lanceriael. Miyuki had done a storytelling session for hour sessions at a time for three to four hours in total in a day, but she didn't know how much energy it would take to maintain a constant illusion for a full five to six hours at best.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon May 18, 2015 12:47 am

Lancaeriel looked thoughtful, as did Cael beside her. Then, in unison, they glanced at each other knowingly.

"It can be done," Lancaeriel said softly, "and it can be done without it being a simple illusion. But it would have to be someone who is at least somewhat similar to Earth Elves already for the magic to last the longest."

She looked first at Daeron, then Earendil. They were about as close as any of the group could get. No one else had a military bearing, or they were simply too different.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon May 18, 2015 1:06 am

"What do you two think?" Lin looked at the two brothers.

Both were a good toss up, as both had worked in a military environment of some sort, and Lin knew this too. While Lin would rather not be away from Earendil, she would understand if he decided to go.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon May 18, 2015 1:12 am

"I think that in this case, someone with better hearing would be a better choice," Earendil said reluctantly. "As much as I would like to go, I don't think it would be wise."

He was growing more and more to accept his handicaps, as much as he still didn't like them.

Daeron looked at Earendil, then Lin, and then Iorlas; and then he turned to Lancaeriel and nodded. "I will go," he said confidently.

Shoneah's face was impassive. To be honest, she wasn't much looking forward to going into a place that could cause them trouble; but on the other hand, she knew firsthand how painful it was to be away from loved ones. She would do it. She just hoped she would be able to wear her weapons when she went.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon May 18, 2015 1:29 am

"I guess it's decided then," Lin murmured.

Lin had to admit, this wasn't going to be easy, because the rest of them would be stuck waiting here. Hopefully it would all go well.

Eron smiled softly, "At least now we have a plan, let's just flesh out the the cover story and then I guess you'll both go down tomorrow?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon May 18, 2015 1:25 pm

"Well, Miyuki suggested that perhaps they could say that they'd found the book and letter while they were traveling or hunting or something, and thought it might be important and so decided to look for the owner," Earendil suggested.

"Why would hunters care about books and letters?" Daeron countered.

"What about archaeologists?" Shiro pointed out. "It's their business to learn about ruins and old books and letters. Perhaps they were tasked to look into the place after Lashrael ..."

He glanced at the woman briefly, then looked back at the others. "...died."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon May 18, 2015 2:47 pm

"It could work," Miyuki agreed, "I don't know if anyone has archaeologists here..."

Since elves were immortal and rarely needed to piece together their past like the way humans always had to. Unless there were times of great upheaval or no written records could be made.

"But since it's clear Uncle Dareon and Sliverbirch don't look completely like they belong to the country, they could be traveling archaeologists, wanting to piece together the history of places they go to. They heard about a village that got mysteriously wiped out and decided to check it out for themselves. This gives them an excuse to find the books and know about the lake gas, under the excuse they're well traveled and seen stranger things."

Which wasn't a complete lie, because they had seen stranger things, just those things didn't normally try to kill them.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon May 18, 2015 11:07 pm

"Travelers are not very welcome here, especially if they're digging into the country's secrets," Lashrael spoke up seriously. "Shoneah is Earth Elven, is she not? Of course she looks like she belongs."

"I'm not, actually," Shoneah smiled. "I am an Aquinnashuan elf, from a mountain range in Gaia, where Lin and Miyuki and Eron are from."

Lashrael was surprised. "Well, I would not have guessed." She looked thoughtful. "Perhaps ... you could say you are an Earth elf from another country, like ..."

"Kelxit," Kyrie grinned.

Lashrael smiled. "Sure. Kelxit. As for Daeron ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon May 18, 2015 11:09 pm

"It depends on what Uncle Dareon is going to look like," Miyuki looked over to Lanceriael curiously.

She also didn't know the surrounding countries that well or the cultures (though she was learning fast). So it would be up to Kyrie and Lanceriael (or Cael) to decide on that background.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon May 18, 2015 11:15 pm

Lancaeriel pursed her lips, looking at Daeron thoughtfully. "Well ... I don't think it would be too difficult to change his skin colour, anyways ... just make him look like another Earth Elf, I suppose."

Shoneah looked at Daeron. She hadn't really spent any time with him, and she didn't know him that well, but she thought it would be interesting to do this with him.

"Do we get to take weapons?" she asked, turning back to Lashrael.

The woman smiled and nodded. "They would think you mad if you didn't."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon May 18, 2015 11:20 pm

At least there was a bit of comfort in that, though Miyuki wondered if Shoneah would bring her pistols and not just a blade.

"That's good at least..."
Miyuki murmured.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon May 18, 2015 11:33 pm

"What about Xipil?" Andarien asked, his tone a bit annoyed. His arms were folded across his chest, the corners of his mouth turned down. "If I can't go, then he should at least go."

Lashrael pursed her lips thoughtfully and looked over at Shoneah. She was familiar with Xipil, and she knew he wasn't dangerous to those who presented no threat to Shoneah, but she knew that those at the base would not understand. She shook her head. "Better not."

Andarien glared. Shoneah smiled at him and put one hand on his arm to calm him. "I'll be fine," she assured him. "I'll have my guns and my sword, I'll have my armor on, and your uncle will be with me."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon May 18, 2015 11:47 pm

Lin nodded, "She won't be alone at any rate. It should be fine."

She was sure of it, even though they were taking quite a risk.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue May 19, 2015 12:05 am

And with the plan decided, everyone went to bed. Some slept better than others, but when morning came, the tent was abuzz with activity. Amir was sitting in Iorlas' lap on the couch, one finger in his mouth, his eyes filled with terror as he looked up at his father, who now had brown skin and dark brown hair like an Earth Elf. Iorlas was trying to reassure Amir that it really was his father and that he would be back to normal by lunch time, but the child didn't look reassured.

Shoneah had already cleaned her guns and checked her sword, but was rechecking them again as she prepared to leave. She had Lashrael's notebooks and the letter safely tucked into her bag, as well as some notes she had written for herself about the country of Kelxit, in case she and Daeron were asked about their supposed home country.

"Remember to first ask for Commander Deldrach," Lashrael told them. "Ask him about Jassin. Lieutenant Jassin Oakwood."

Shoneah nodded. "Right. Got it."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue May 19, 2015 12:38 am

"Good luck," Miyuki murmured to the two.

It was strange seeing her Uncle Dareon like this, and stranger still not being able to follow (even though it wouldn't be the first time she was left behind).

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue May 19, 2015 1:06 am

Shoneah and Daeron made sure they each had everything they needed, then set out for the base.

Andarien watched as they started down the mountain, and without speaking to anyone, sat down just outside the tent to keep an eye on them.

Earendil turned to Lin and murmured, "Someone should keep an eye on him. He was pretty adamant last night that he wanted to go along with them."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue May 19, 2015 8:52 pm

Lin glanced over to Andarien, her teenage son. While she would like to believe he wouldn't try anything, sometimes Andarien was a bit... fixated on certain things.

"I'll do it," Miyuki interrupted Lin's thoughts, "Besides, it would be good to spend sometime outside."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue May 19, 2015 9:21 pm

Earendil smiled and put one hand on Miyuki's shoulder. "Thanks," he murmured. "See if you can't get him to open up a bit. It's never good when he closes up like this."

He glanced at Andarien again, then put one arm around Lin's shoulders and led her inside the tent again.

Andarien was sitting with his legs crossed, his hands folded in his lap, and he pushed his goggles up onto his forehead before leaning forward to watch Shoneah's and Daeron's progress.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue May 19, 2015 9:55 pm

As Miyuki watched her parents leave, she decided that the direct approach was the best. Whirling around, she walked up to Andarien, and sat down beside him, while focusing on keeping as much of her magic inside her as possible.

Since her little brother had his goggles up.

"Are you going to be okay?" she finally asked him.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next