The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going through Gemia - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Going through Gemia - 119 4A - Page 14 Empty Re: Going through Gemia - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:32 pm

"Not at all, everyone gets their own room... unless they're married then that's different, or on request. Kaito and Shiro are brothers, twins, even if they don't look like it. So they prefer to share a room together, but their room, as well as the room of married couples are much bigger to give them more space to live in."

As Miyuki explained this, she opened the door to the white elves' room. A cold blast of air hit her as she stepped in.

"Sorry, it's really cold in here," Miyuki explained, "Daenis and Mailon come from the far north, where it's really, really cold. Mailon has been traveling through other countries for years and so is use to the temperature difference. Daenis, his wife, is not use to large amounts of heat, it tends to make her a bit ill so this room is a haven for the both of them."

There was also a lack of a bed in the sense of a futon or even what most would consider a bed. Instead there are were furs everywhere, covering the walls and a piles of it that made up the bed.

"Their people use furs a lot," Miyuki added, "In things like bedding."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:37 pm

The furs were more than just the bedding: Daeron had made the couple a wardrobe for their clothes and belongings, and even that had been covered with fur as if to hide the wooden look of it.

Ira had been snoozing in the middle of the bed, curled up in a pale blue ball, but at the sound of Miyuki's voice, one ear twitched and he looked up sleepily. He had been out with Daenis all morning, and it had required quite a bit of energy to keep her cool enough not to feel ill.

"I've never felt such cold," Christine shivered, rubbing her arms. "Shall we move on?"

Gerald put one arm around his wife protectively and looked at Miyuki. "Are they all as different as this?" he asked.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:42 pm

Miyuki shook her head and assured Gerald, "Not this different, just Daenis and Mailon's and Mirania and Lamruil's living spaces are very different, but they're use to very different living conditions."

Miyuki waved at Ira before stepping out and closing the door again. Despite what her father thought, Miyuki thought something more... regular might be better.

"Here, let me show you Eron's room. In fact, I think he might be in. He likes to puzzle out formulas in his room when he's not in the lab," Miyuki murmured.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:50 pm

"Eron?" Gerald repeated suspiciously.

"Is that the person we were supposed to talk to?" Christine asked, still rubbing warmth into her arms. She looked at Miyuki curiously.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:16 am

Miyuki shook her head, "Eron is another person who travels with us. He's a chemist by trade, that is, he makes anything from perfumes to smelling salts. Though I think right now he's working on plant food."

She kind of didn't get that, but Eron had said there was so much by-product from everyone (a nice way to say fecal matter) that he might as well make fertilizer from it. It would never be enough for a full farm, but for small gardens it could increase crop yield. To which he muttered to himself on how to do that without offending anyone's senses.

The smelling salts were offending enough.

Showing them to another door, Miyuki knocked on the frame instead of open it right away. A muffled voice told them to come in. Inside Eron was standing near a chalkboard. There were two or three chalkboards on the far end of the room far away from his bed. Simply because Eron didn't want to be breathing in the chalk afterwards.

Like Miyuki, he too had a writing desk, but it was mainly filled with sheets of paper and a few fountain pens, instead of the various writing implements that Miyuki would use. Near his desk was a bookshelf, it wasn't really that full as all the books in there were reference books he painstakingly copied from Shiro's tablet so he wouldn't have to keep borrowing the neko's device. The only book in there not made by him was the old battered textbook from his previous life as a teacher.

The paper walls had writing on them as well, references to things he needed often or wanted to know often without opening a book. This included a whole periodical table, and the formula on how to figure out the number of 'moles' when making chemical compounds. Also like Miyuki he had a drawer chest for his clothes, but on top he kept vials of dirt from wherever they had been.

He also had a cabinet that had cubes of metals that he extracted from the earth. Whenever he found a metal he could keep safely he would exact it and keep the first sample for himself as a reminder how far he had come as a Earth mage.

Eron was near his chalkboards, looking thoughtful as he turned to see who was visiting him.

"Oh..." he blinked, surprised because he hadn't expected strangers, "Sorry, I didn't realize we would be having visitors."

"This is Christine and Gerald, they're Rose's parents. I was just showing them the different rooms and how they can be customized, do you mind if we come in?" Miyuki asked.

Eron smiled as he set down the chalk he was holding, "Not at all, this formula can wait."

He was just figuring out portions, and he didn't want to bother Shiro for his tablet, not when he could figure it out by hand. It just took longer.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Gerald and Christine of course did not recognize any of the scribbles on the chalkboards, the papers or the books, but they were both intelligent enough to at least realize that this man was a scholar of some sort.

Even so, that wasn't the first thing that caught their attention.

"What are you?" Gerald asked bluntly, eying the demon's wings suspiciously.

Christine felt no need to scold her husband for his bluntness. These were strangers and foreigners, yes, but they were not human (obviously) and their daughter was asking for their permission to accompany these people when they left. They would be remiss in not asking.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:42 pm

Eron wasn't at all put off by the question, he was use to it. It probably didn't help he had oddly coloured hair, even Kaito's white hair was a bit explainable.

He nodded his head to the two humans before answering, "I am a yokai, my race is often recognizable for our bat-like wings. Like elves we are immortal, and funnily enough we're distantly related to angels, not that most people could tell."

After all, they weren't related to fairies in anyway, and they had wings.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:46 pm

The last comment meant nothing to the human couple, since they had no idea what angels were (not having asked Lin her race), but they accepted that it was something that would be different enough from yokai that Eron would feel it was worth mentioning.

"You are a scholar of some kind?" Gerald asked, almost as if it were an interrogation. "You're on your own?"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Deciding discretion was better, Eron nodded at this and forwent explaining the fact he use to be a teacher. It didn't help chemistry wasn't a subject in this world as far as he could tell. He sometimes wondered if there were alchemists instead, but he hoped not. He liked all his limbs in place and his organs intact.

"Yes, I am a scholar and no I am not married, or with anyone if that is the question. I am not alone in my work though. Shiro and Khetal are also scholars, we have a lab here in the tent we work out of," Eron explained.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:59 pm

Gerald nodded and kept looking around, though his expression became, if anything, more suspicious.

"Are you ever disturbed in your bedroom?" Christine asked. "I mean, aside from when someone is being shown around the ... tent?"

She had almost called it a house - it was difficult to remember what it was once they were inside.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Eron shook his head, "Not unless I asked someone to watch my experiments for me. Then someone might knock on my door, but since I asked for someone to, it's not unexpected."

It was rare he would get someone else to watch his experiments, but unlike Shiro, Eron had other things to do besides research. He was still a student learning magic, and had to take time out to practice. While he doubt he would ever become very proficient on quarterstaff, he at least tried to get better.

Noting the look on Gerald's face Eron had to ask.

"Is everything alright sir?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:09 pm

Gerald didn't say anything, but just set his jaw and nodded at Eron. No, everything was not all right, but the question he wanted an answer to would not be answered by Eron or any other of the men - he would have to ask one of the women - one of the single women, at that - for the answer to this question before he would be satisfied.

Christine glanced at her husband, and she understood immediately what was bothering him. Instead of making a big deal of it, she simply murmured, "Perhaps we should move on and meet some of the others in your group. Sorry to have taken up your time."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:16 pm

That confused Eron, but he let it go and nodded at Miyuki.

"Not at all," Eron assured her, "Miyuki, maybe let them see the workshops too alright?"

Since it was good for them to see how they all kept busy. Miyuki nodded at this.

"Okay, this way," she motioned for the couple to follow her again, "Maybe someone is working, I know the forge is probably in use."

It was rare that it wasn't.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:18 pm

The couple nodded farewells to Eron and followed Miyuki once more.

"Forge?" Gerald asked. "Like a blacksmith forge?"

"What kind of things are made there?" Christine asked, more curious than anything.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:27 pm

"Yes," Miyuki replied as she showed them out of the residence hallway, "My brother is a gear smith, he makes watches, music boxes and other types of automatons. Shoneah is in there working as well, and she will make most things metal that we need. So any fastenings, trimmings or metal pieces that are in the tent are done by her."

The other hallway was much shorter than the residence hallway but it required less doors than the other hallway. Though Miyuki imagined that over time this hallway would get just as long.

At the moment there were three bathing rooms, two storage rooms, the dojo, the forge, wood work shop, the sewing shop (which Miyuki would have to expand), the lab, her workshop and the hallway to the gardens.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:31 pm

"Your brother?" Christine smiled.

Of course, she was envisioning a red-haired multi-tailed male, though she wasn't sure about younger or older than Miyuki.

"Tell us about him?" she asked curiously as they passed through the kitchen. There were still several people in the kitchen, chatting together cheerfully, and most of them smiled and waved at Miyuki, Gerald and Christine as they passed through.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:24 pm

Miyuki waved as she passed the people in the kitchen before opening the door to the other room.

Thinking about it a bit, Miyuki began her description by saying.

"Like me, my brother is adopted," Miyuki replied.

She didn't expand on that comment because she assumed (having visited her grandparents in Gaia) that no one would assume he was related to her by blood. With the exception of twins, she never knew anyone who was adopted to be related to each other, even if they were siblings.

"He's a bit younger than me, I'd say... we're close in age."

Physically at least, just not chronologically, Miyuki was probably older by a good two or three years. It was just as stage growers it was hard to tell.

Miyuki blinked and then added, "He's sweet, he seems childish for his age, but that's because while he's a genius at anything mechanical, he has trouble understanding people socially sometimes. Please be straight forward and to the point when asking my brother anything, and don't use allusions. He'll take them very literally."

She figured Gerald would interrogate her brother as well, but she was pretty sure Andarien wouldn't take offense. Unless Gerald accused him of something, which wasn't likely. Knocking on the frame of the forge workshop, Miyuki called in to ask if anyone was there.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:38 pm

Shoneah and Andarien were both in there, and hard at work. Shoneah was holding a mould for something while Andarien poured liquid metal carefully into it. Both of them were wearing their goggles, and in the heat, they were both dressed to keep as cool as possible: Shoneah had on her pants and bustier, and Andarien was topless. Both of them were dripping with sweat, their skin glistening, and it was not difficult to understand why: the room was sweltering. The only one who looked comfortable in the heat was Xipil, who was sitting on the edge of the forge, his tail flicking slowly back and forth through the glowing coals.

The forge was enormous, as all of the work rooms needed to be. The stone forge itself was in one corner, and wood and metal benches and shelves lined the walls. The tools were hanging neatly on racks, except for the ones that were in use.

A set of shelves held projects that were in progress, some of which were recognizable, and some of which were not. There were some tools, some weapons, and some nicknacks, as well as other things.

When Miyuki called in, Shoneah was the first one to look up, and when she saw the three in the doorway, she smiled.

"Hey," she greeted them. "Come on in, if you can stand the heat."

She turned her attention back to the mould she was holding, and only when Andarien finished pouring and set the ladle aside did she look up again.

The heat didn't bother Gerald or Christine - it was like a humid day for them. True, hotter than they were used to, but not as far out of their range as the snowy room had been.

Gerald eyed Andarien distastefully and didn't speak, but Christine spoke for them.

"Hello," she nodded. "You are ... Shoneah ... and ... ?"

Miyuki had given them Shoneah's name, but not her brother's.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:41 pm

"And that is Andarien, my brother," Miyuki introduced her baby brother with a grin, "We'll wait until you're done with that really hot metal. I'm just showing Gerald and Christine around the workrooms."

Miyuki didn't bother to walk in, because she did find this way too hot.

"Is Yasu in there by any chance?"

There was a yip, as if to say yes. Yasu was napping way too close to the fire. If he wasn't a fire type Pokemon that fluffy fur of his might have caught on fire a long time ago.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:49 pm

Andarien grinned at the three of them. "Don't worry about this, it's just gotta cool down now," he assured them. He glanced at Shoneah, who set it carefully on a tripod designed for it so that it wouldn't tip while it cooled, then set her tongs aside.

"You must be Rose's parents," Shoneah smiled at the couple. "Welcome. It's nice to meet you. Your daughter is quite the young woman." With a rueful laugh, she added, "I'd offer to shake your hands, but I'm afraid I'm rather a mess at the moment."

Her hands were smudged with black and also slick with sweat, so it was obvious what she meant. Nevertheless, Gerald's lip curled back in a disgusted snarl even before he looked at her hands.

Andarien frowned at him. "What you looking at?" he asked him. "I know it doesn't smell good in here, but it isn't that bad, is it?"

Gerald's eyes flickered from Shoneah's immodestly exposed body to Andarien's bare, strongly muscled torso. His snarl disappeared, but the look of disgust remained.

"I hope you two are more properly dressed when you're not in here," he said bluntly.

Andarien blinked. "Huh?"

Shoneah was a bit used to this, simply because she had learned early in her time in this world that the women of this world rarely showed more than three-quarters of their arms, and never their midriff - except in special cases, like Kyrie, of course.

"We do," she assured Gerald calmly.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:56 pm

"Andarien, Shoneah and myself come from areas where the weather is... well it's cooler than it is outside at the moment," Miyuki explained.

It occurred to her as she watched Christine and Gerald that they weren't affected by this heat like the way she and the others were.

"We're not use to this kind of heat, so what they're wearing is to prevent heatstroke," the kitsune paused and then added, "Father had handle the heat, but it's a lot more humid here than even he's use to."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:06 pm

"Ada grew up in a desert," Andarien grinned, not at all taken aback by Gerald's comment, though he was confused by it. "But it's pretty dry there. So like Miyuki said, different from here."

"And what do you do when you're with the group?" Gerald asked him.

Andarien blinked at him. "This," he replied simply, gesturing to what was around him. "Why?"

"Is there a problem of some kind?" Shoneah asked, her brow furrowing slightly.

"No, not at all," Christine said hurriedly, putting both hands on her husband's shoulders and pulling him back a step. "We're just curious to know about everyone. If we're even to consider letting our daughter travel with you, we do need to know."

Andarien of course accepted this without question, but Shoneah wasn't convinced.

"Now, we understand that there are several couples in your group," Christine went on, smiling. "Are either of you involved with anyone else?"

"Involved?" Andarien repeated, confused again.

Shoneah blushed but tried to ignore it as she explained, "It means in a relationship ... courting or married." Then, to Rose's parents, she added, "No, neither of us are."

Andarien was still confused. "Courting?" he repeated, sounding rather lost now.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Miyuki resisted the urge to sigh and explained to Andarien, "Courting is what you do when you're interested in someone and might want to marry them."

She gave Gerald a look as if to say, don't you even think about questioning Andarien further on that topic. Really, her brother was an innocent a lamb! In the most annoying way possible for someone who was physically an adult. And didn't she already tell them to be straight to the point?

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:39 pm

"Oh ..." Andarien fell silent for a moment as he thought about it. His eyes flicked briefly to Shoneah - why was she blushing? - before he also looked at Gerald and Christine. "Yeah, nope. Not us."

Christine nodded slowly and didn't say anything else, but Gerald took a turn to speak.

"So Andarien, you're traveling with your family," he began. "But Shoneah ... what is your story?"

Shoneah shrugged. "Not much to tell. I fell through a tear between worlds and ended up here. I'm just trying to get home again. These people have a way to get me there."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:45 pm

"My mother and her side of the family came from the world Shoneah comes from," Miyuki explained, "Passage between worlds was created by my grandmother, which we do use on occasion to visit my mother's family. So when we get back, we will take Shoneah with us and return her home."

She wasn't sure about Eron though. Miyuki suspected that Eron would return home just to tie up loose ends, but she seriously doubted he was going to go back teaching afterwards. At least, not chemistry.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 18 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next