The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next

Go down

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A - Page 14 Empty Re: Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Miyuki mused, while she knew Kyrie might not be happy with the idea, as it she could feel that it would endanger their mission. However, trust aside, it was actually a more practical solution emotionally for Takari and Makaela.

"Hmm... We don't know how long it'll take us, as we're not even sure what this employer has planned, though that could change by the time we get back,"
Miyuki murmured thoughtfully, "But I'd imagine Kyrie might have issue with it..."

She wondered, did anyone in their group know how to read the rune system here? If so, one (or two) of them could stay here with the family as a Light Elf, and that would make Kyrie feel a bit better about it.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A - Page 14 Empty Re: Hunting Through Keliac - 119 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:37 pm

"Kyrie?" Takari asked, confused.

"Our guide," said Lancaeriel softly. "Though I am of the opinion that I believe she would wish to do what she could to help you out."

But Miyuki was right, there was simply too much that was unknown at the moment.

"Look, it's only half a day's walk," Mirania pointed out. "The least we could do is go back and ask. If they're still in the same place and plan to stay there for the moment, I'm sure Kyrie wouldn't have any trouble using Uruloki as a messenger."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:00 pm

"Fair enough," Miyuki agreed, "Let's take it back to the group then and see if we can do that."

She hoped so, because it would be easier on the two, at least Miyuki thought so. Which was everything in a situation like this.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:04 pm

Relief washed visibly over Makaela and Takari, and Makaela turned towards the other once more and smiled softly. "Thank you," she murmured. "Do you suppose that I could send the note along with you anyways, just in case?"

"Of course," Mirania beamed. "Then if it works out we can deliver it right away!"

"Unless ..." Lancaeriel tapped her chin thoughtfully. "I don't suppose you would happen to have a mirror ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:08 pm

"Ooo we're going to do that trick huh?" Miyuki asked Lancaeriel rhetorically.

The mirror thing was becoming very useful indeed in a situation like this.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:11 pm

"If we can," Lancaeriel smiled.

Takari's brow furrowed. "We do have one ... I think. I'll go look for it."

As her daughter moved towards the bedroom to look for the mirror, Makaela looked at the others. "What is it for?" she asked curiously.

"With it, we can communicate with the rest of our group," Lancaeriel explained. "It's magic, a magic that anyone can learn."

Provided of course that they had magic within themselves to draw on.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:49 pm

"We seem to be using that trick a lot as of late," Miyuki commented, "I wonder if the future it might be worth investing in small hand mirrors... but mirror glass is expensive...."

But small ones, that were broken pieces of much larger works, or works that didn't work actually might be cheaper for them if they could find the right maker.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:57 pm

"Well, there is a reason we have no glass in any of our windows," Makaela smiled softly.

Takari was back quickly. "Here," she said, holding up a small mirror about the size of her face. "Will this do?"

"Yes." Lancaeriel took the mirror from Takari and set it on the table. "But it can wait until after breakfast, I'm sure."

The rest of the flatcakes were ready quickly, and Makaela and Takari joined the travelers at the table. The meal was good, though simple, and once the cleanup was done, they all sat together in the living room. Lancaeriel held the mirror and linked it with one of the ones in the foyer of the tent.

"Now there's something we didn't expect," Kyrie said almost immediately, blinking in surprise. "What's going on? Where are you?"

She had clearly been watching the other mirror, and Khetal, Rose and a few others were also in the room.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:24 pm

"Hi Kyrie!" Miyuki waved.

Then the kitsune launched into a story of where they were and what had happened, and what they had found out. She explained the plight of Takari and Tehlmar, and their unborn child. She also explained the family's request, in an attempt to call the father home for Makaela's sake.

"So we're wondering," Miyuki finished, "If that is do-able at all."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:37 pm

Kyrie was quiet for a long time, though the others in the foyer started talking quietly amongst themselves. Takari and Makaela were sitting together on a smaller couch, clasping each others' hands as they waited to find out what would happen. So far they didn't know what was going on - Kyrie and Miyuki had been speaking in English, which they didn't understand. They didn't protest or question it, though, simply accepted it as the way it had to be.

"I can only imagine how desperate they must be," Kyrie murmured at length. "And of course they are welcome to come with us if they wish."

She fell silent again, running her fingers through her hair in agitation. Clearly she wanted it to work and was struggling to think of how it might.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:45 pm

"The second request might be more difficult, I know it requires a lot of trust on our part," Miyuki replied, "But I do believe they are truthful as they were victims of mercenaries themselves. Why this man is doing the one thing that caused his family grief I won't ever understand, but they understand why we're doing this."

It would help if one of them could read the rune system here, and Miyuki added that as well.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:55 pm

"You could have her write it now and hold it up to the mirror," Kyrie suggested. "I'm the only one who can read it, at least here."

Then, as an afterthought, she added, "And ... if she were to date it a few weeks ago ... then we could have someone go and say that they've checked many places, looking for someone named Erlan ... it wouldn't be as suspicious then ..."

Hopefully not.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:12 pm

Miyuki hadn't considered that, especially since it hadn't been that long since a shipment had arrived, it would be suspicious if the letter was more recent.

Miyuki nodded, "I'll tell them, and to make sure it sounds like the letter was sent weeks ago, which would help. Shall we do that then?"

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:16 pm

Kyrie nodded. "Yes. We'll be standing by, so as soon as it's all ready, contact us again and-"

"Hold on," Khetal spoke up, moving to stand next to his sister. "I had a thought ..."

Kyrie looked at him, surprised. Without hesitating, Khetal looked into the mirror and went on. "Ask her if her husband would recognize her handwriting."

Kyrie wasn't the only one who was surprised. Lancaeriel, Cael, Mirania and Lamruil were all staring at him now.

"What are you thinking?" Cael asked, curious.

Khetal looked at him evenly. "If her husband wouldn't recognize whether or not she wrote it, we could save time and have Kyrie take a dictation. If they don't mind having you stay for a few more days, we could do this while you're still there. That way a second trip wouldn't be necessary."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:28 pm

"Uhm...." Miyuki blinked and then turned to face Makaela and asked, "Would Erlan recognize your handwriting? They're wondering because if not, then Kyrie could take a dictation instead of us leaving and then we'll just stay for a few more days."

She wasn't sure if that would work, but it was worth a try.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:34 pm

Makaela took a moment to think about it. "Unlikely," she said thoughtfully. "I don't believe we've ever written to each other ... there has never been a need before."

"Do you think it worth a try?" Takari asked her mother.

Makaela thought about it a moment longer before nodding. "I think so. And ... you said that you have someone near to Erlan, yes? Perhaps ... if you could let us know then, when Erlan receives the letter, what his reaction is ... then we would know immediately whether to pack for both of us or simply for Takari."

"And figure out what we can bring and what would have to stay," Takari murmured, looking around.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:33 pm

Miyuki nodded, "I think that might be possible. Right?"

She looked to Kyrie, of course they might be able to tell just by watching Wren if she's near Erlan, but they would be guessing since the mirror didn't project sound.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:45 pm

Kyrie nodded. "If all else fails, we'll just ask Wren about what happens," she replied with a smile. "It'll be fine, don't worry."

She looked around. "I don't see any paper here ... give me a few minutes to find some and then I can take her dictation." She held up a finger. "Be right back."

While Kyrie was off finding something to write on and with, Takari murmured wonderingly, "I thought you said they were in a tent ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:48 pm

"They are... it just doesn't look like a tent on the inside," Miyuki replied with a chuckle, "On the inside, it's like a house... which... that description might not be wholey accurate neither."

It was really hard to explain without showing it to someone because others wouldn't believe it.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Kyrie was back quickly with a sheet of parchment, a quill, and a bottle of ink.

"Ready when you are," she said to Makaela.

Makaela thought for a moment and began to dictate a letter for Kyrie. As she had promised, it was short and simple, and gave no indication that she knew anything about where he was or what he was doing. When they were finished, Kyrie read it back to double check.

"Darling, it's been ages. You've never been gone this long. Where are you? Come home. Your loving wife, Makaela." She looked into the mirror again and held the letter up for Makaela's inspection. "What do you think?"

Makaela leaned forward to inspect Kyrie's writing. After a moment, she nodded slowly. "Yes. That should do."

Kyrie nodded. "And the date?"

Makaela thought for a moment, then named a date that was about four weeks previous. Kyrie added it to the letter and held it up again, and once Makaela had okayed the letter once more, Kyrie folded it and wrote the mercenary's name on the outside.

"Tied shut with a ribbon," Makaela added. "And sealed with simple candle wax."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:13 pm

"Holly will have some plain white ribbon, and I think I still have a few blank white ribbons in my room," Miyuki offered.

One day, when Miyuki could manage it, she would like purple ribbon, but she suspect that would be a trip to Gaia. In fact Holly once asked Miyuki why no one in her family thought of bringing high quality fabric of difficult dye colours like purple, blue or even green. It just never occurred to any of the Gaians that simple cloth would be worth so much dyed, especially since they couldn't find spider silk in Gaia, which was the preferred cloth when they could find it.

Holly felt some clothes made of the stuff that Lin had, she was determined to get her hands on the stuff one day.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:20 pm

Kyrie nodded. "Good. We'll use that then."

Suddenly she blinked as if she had just realized something. "This may be interesting," she murmured, almost to herself.

Rose, who was still sitting near Kyrie, was made very curious by the comment. "What's interesting?" she asked.

Kyrie looked at her, smiled, and shook her head. "I just realized that Andarien is the last Light Elf here, that's all."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:51 pm

"How is Andarien and Silverbirch doing?" Miyuki asked since the topic came up, "I know there hasn't been much for them to do but, wait, watch and work, especially since it's unwise to go out without good reason."

And with their food stores and garden, they didn't actually need to go out hunting for a long while.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:14 pm

"Oh, they've been busy," Kyrie grinned. "Believe it or not, she's got him training with his katana, though they've also been spending a lot of time in the forge together. That being said," she added, almost as an afterthought, "they've been spending some time in the gardens, too." She laughed softly. "Seeing them together is actually pretty cute."

"Miyuki's brother," Lancaeriel explained quietly to Makaela and Takari, who looked very confused. Then she turned back to the mirror again. "Do you think Andarien will be up to delivering the letter?"

Kyrie shrugged. "To be honest, if they sic some dogs on him like they did to Wren, no. Barring some miracle like what happened with her, whatever it was."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:27 pm

"I wonder if it's a Gift," Miyuki admitted, "Unlike here, Gifts from Elves born in Arda is far more varied, and it doesn't matter if you're Light or Dark. But you're right, I wouldn't want to send Andarien into that. This does pose the question of how to deliver it though."

She had forgotten about Wren's stunt, and interestingly enough, no one ever asked the first time they contacted her.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 40 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27 ... 40  Next