The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A)

2 posters

Page 9 of 26 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 26  Next

Go down

Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A) - Page 9 Empty Re: Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A)

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:33 pm

"No I don't," Shiro protested. "I'm careful to avoid magic. But I do enjoy experimenting, too, with all kinds of things."

Khetal chuckled. "Well, I'm afraid I would be useless with magic, half-bloods can't use it anyways. It makes me wonder, though, if maybe we should ask about a lab in addition to a bedroom for me, then we can all use it and there's less risk with dangerous experiments."

"Well, Miyuki would be the one to ask," Shiro grinned.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A) - Page 9 Empty Re: Dashing Through Dolerum (119 4A)

Post by Kara Winters Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:36 pm

"Completely do-able," Miyuki didn't even have to think about it, "You just need to give Uncle Dareon a list of things you will need later. Though that does bring up a question, is being half-blood just mean you can't use magic specific to the race of your parents, or just magic in general...?"

She glanced over to see if her teacher was up and in the room, because Lancerial would know that better than she. Though if Miyuki remembered her lessons (and she was sure she did), she was pretty sure the answer was the former and not the latter.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:51 pm

"Isn't Daeron going with us today?" Shiro asked, confused.

Khetal nodded. "Yes, to see what to make for my room. But to answer your question, Miyuki, half-bloods have no magic at all."

Lancaeriel was only a few seats away from Miyuki. She had finished her breakfast already and was chatting with Iorlas, holding Amir so that Iorlas could eat without him reaching for her food. Kaede was sitting on the floor between the two chairs, her eyes on Amir, her leafy tail waving slowly back and forth.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:05 pm

"Hmmm...." Miyuki mused on this.

Lancaeriel was busy, but she would like to ask her teacher later because she was pretty sure that wasn't the case.

Still, Shiro had asked a question.

"Anyways, if you guys want a lab, what you'll need might be a bit more different than the personal workstations you and Eron have at the moment," Miyuki added.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:15 pm

"But if Daeron is coming with to see Khetal's lab then he'll get a good idea there of what we'll need," Shiro pointed out with a smile. "Though if there's a glassblower here in the city, we can get the test tubes and beakers we need. I have some from home, but some of them are starting to crack a bit. If we could get new ones that would be fantastic."

"We do have that," Khetal nodded. "They're a bit expensive but I'd be happy to pay for them. I've a bit of a nest egg after all this time."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 pm

"So maybe after we look in your lab we can drop by the glassblower?" Miyuki suggested, "It would be also a good excuse to look around town."

Since she did want to do that anyways, she thought it would be fun.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:59 pm

"Sure," Khetal agreed cheerfully. "I don't mind. It's been a while since I've seen him. And I've the feeling Kyrie will probably be taking people around, too - maybe we'll run into some of the others while we're out."

"So when do we go?" Shiro asked, ready to set out.

"Best make sure everyone's finished their breakfast," Khetal pointed out, glancing around.

Daeron had finished eating and was more or less just listening to Iorlas' and Lancaeriel's conversation.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:04 pm

With that as a reminder, Miyuki went back to her food. She was eager to get out and see things, that was always the best part about arriving in a new place.

Once she was done, she gathered up her plate to put in the sink for easy cleaning.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:13 pm

It wasn't long before the others were also ready, and Shiro got Daeron's attention and let him know that they were ready to go. Soon enough, Shiro, Daeron, Khetal, Eron and Miyuki were on their way.

"I must apologize, it's a bit of a trek," Khetal told them apologetically as they left the tent and headed back into the city, "but the research station is in Lynliss's clinic, which is in the business district, rather than near the house."

"We're no strangers to walking," Daeron assured the man. "If we couldn't handle it, we wouldn't be traveling."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:21 pm

"And it's nice to see the city, it's not like we're in a hurry," Miyuki added.

Eron nodded in agreement as he took in the scenery around them. It was quite a nice place when people weren't staring at you or talking about you.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:51 pm

"Well, if you have any questions, just ask," Khetal invited them. "About anything."

"Thanks," Shiro smiled. "And likewise. We're very open, I'm sure you'll find."

Khetal smiled back at him. "Thank you. And I do have a question, one I hope you will not take amiss. But what are all of you? I mean, Daeron, I can see that you are Dark Elven, but ... what are the rest of you?"

He looked at Eron, Shiro and Miyuki curiously. He had never seen anyone or anything like them before.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:42 am

Miyuki giggled, "That's a perfectly fine question, I mean... most of us aren't even from this continent and half of us not from this world."

Really, it wasn't an uncommon question, and Eron agreed with her assessment, "Many of us are from a world called Gaia where there are many other races including elves and humans."

Miyuki picked up after Eron with a nod, "That being said, I'm from a race called the Kitsune, Shiro is a type of neko and Eron is what Gaians call a demon. The word demon, in Gaian often refers to races with bat-like wings, who are immortal and often have some affinity to magic."

Eron blinked, tilted his head at her choice of words but was glad she was explaining the word demon before an misunderstanding could break out.

"Often?" he had to ask anyways.

Miyuki shrugged, "The problem is... Demon is an English.. or Common Tongue word, and often in Gaia, other races whose name is in a different language sometimes gets translated into the word demon, even though they don't have bat wings at all. Like one of mom's friends is supposed to be a dog demon, but he doesn't have bat wings, and I think that was a translation issue from his original language."

Not that anyone could speak his family's original language from Miyuki's understanding. She had only met the guy once when she was a kid and didn't remember much only that he was supposedly half dog demon.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:55 am

Khetal listened to the explanation without judging, simply nodded his understanding. He might have spent nine hundred years in Dolerum, but he was originally from Caras Galadhon, and half-blooded himself.

"I can see though why it might cause a commotion," he mused as they walked past streets of houses. "Demons of this world are not kindly thought of - and with reason. Is there any other way to describe your race, Eron, that would not use the word? I know how judgmental the people of our world can be, and what kinds of actions they can take because of their beliefs."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:03 am

"I think..." Eron tried to think of a better word, "There's the word daemon, but it's very close to demon, and often refers to an unknown creature."

"It does?" Miyuki asked looking curious.

She had heard the word and it was also a name, her grandfather was named Daemon.

"If you read Frankenstein," Eron replied wryly.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:08 am

Khetal grimaced. "Probably too similar for people here," he murmured ruefully. "Sorry."

"You don't have to apologize for the people here, it's not as if you're the reason they're like that," Shiro protested.

"Perhaps not," Khetal shrugged, "but nevertheless, this has been my home for a long time. These have been my people for a long time."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:15 am

Miyuki looked at Eron thoughtfully, "What about Yokai?"

She knew that Shiro would know the meaning and it really didn't really mean demon, but sometimes for certain species of yokai when it was translated the word demon was used instead.

"I know.. I know... technically it translates into spirit or supernatural being, but often spirit creatures sometimes gets translated into demon creatures when put into common tongue. So... it's kind of fitting to use a word that sometimes gets translated into demon, to describe your race. Besides, both demons and angels were once considered spirits and those two races are apparently very closely related anyways."

How she didn't know, but she knew they were despite the fact one had bat wings and the other bird wings. It was the reason why the two were often paired together to represent balance.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:18 am

"Not perfect, but good enough for people here," Shiro mused. He glanced at Khetal. "At least, I don't think it means anything here. Does it?"

Khetal shook his head. "No, I've heard of nothing similar. I think it would be safe."

Shiro grinned. "Then yokai it is. If Eron doesn't mind, that is - I know I don't mind." He looked over at Eron to see what he would say.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:28 pm

"I don't mind, it might take a bit to remember but I don't mind," Eron replied.

He wasn't really familiar with the term himself, though he had a few races refer to themselves as such rather than go by any English translation.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:41 pm

It took them nearly a quarter hour more, but finally they passed through the residential area of the city - passing by the street where Kyrie's adoptive family lived on the way - and made it to the business area. The clinic where Lynliss and Khetal worked was on the edge of the business area, so it was the first building they came to there, meaning they didn't pass by any other shops on the way.

"Just please remember to keep your voices down," Khetal cautioned them as they headed in. "There's only one patient right now, but he does need rest."

He opened the door and let them head in ahead of him.

The first room was not a sitting room, like most other clinics they had seen; instead, there was a wall almost directly in front of them, with hallway going off to both sides. A sign on the wall was labeled in the same runes used in Caras Galadhon and had arrows pointing each way, directing people to the area they would need: left for aid, right for research.

"Right," Khetal told them, nodding in that direction.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:13 am

Miyuki nodded in agreement to Khetal's warning even though they had already been to a clinic before. Though she had a feeling this one was larger than the ones they had been to in the past.

Heading to the right hall, they followed Khetal to his lab. On the way, Miyuki couldn't help but note the differences as well as the similarities between this clinic and past clinics.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:24 am

Inside, Khetal told them to keep going along a long hallway, until at last they came to a door on the left. There, he used a key to open the door, then opened it and led them through. Inside was an enormous room, easily as long as the hallway had been, and nearly as wide. Yet for all its size, it was quite full: there were rows of bookshelves starting along one wall and taking up at least a quarter of the room, then rows of shelves filled with vials, jars and beakers with all manner of items in them, neatly labeled and sorted, though not by the Gaian alphabet. There were various tables with items on them for mixing, books with notes scrawled in margins, inkpots and quills here and there; tongs, knives and other tools for cutting and carrying the concoctions that were made; and three separate fireplaces, only one of them lit at the moment. There were also baskets, boxes and crates filled with various items, and along one wall several large wooden cabinets, labeled with a different rune system.

Daeron took a moment to process what he saw, and then he immediately began an inventory of things he would have to make for Khetal.

Shiro was quicker to realize what he was looking at, and he looked at Khetal, impressed. "Nice," he said sincerely. "I'm jealous. I've just got one table of stuff in my room to experiment with."

Khetal smiled at the neko. "Well, this is nearly a millenia of work, after all," he reminded him.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:31 am

"I have a question, would you like to take all your work with you?" Miyuki asked.

She was starting to realize very quickly that with the kind of work that Khetal did, she might want to think of runing the storage containers and maybe getting him a runed bag if he wanted to collect samples. Since Shiro always did, Miyuki assumed that Khetal would be the same.

"What are you working on at the moment?" Eron asked.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:36 am

"Well, yes," Khetal beamed at Miyuki, "I would love to take my things with me. Most of this isn't mine anymore, it's Lynliss's now ... in answer to your question, Eron, I stopped my own research about five years ago in anticipation of traveling with Kyrie. I promised her I would, the last time she was here. And since of course I had no idea that I would be able to take anything at all with me, I simply finished what I was working on and then waited for her."

He gestured at the things around him. "During my life here, I interested Lynliss in my research as well, and she decided to continue on after I go. I've been helping her since finishing my own research."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:49 am

"Hmm... okay," Miyuki still wondered, "Though I should probably rune some of the places of storage anyways and get you a bag. If you're anything like Shiro, there will be samples taken during our travels."

So she figured it was better safe than sorry.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:01 am

"More than samples, if I can continue my work," Khetal agreed. "Some of the rarer plants I will have to collect as much as possible. They tend to be the most useful, too, interestingly."

"Go figure," Shiro grinned. He looked around for Daeron, who was still looking at all of the furnishings.

"How much of it do you need?" Daeron asked incredulously, not looking at Khetal.

"A table and a shelf to start would be nice," Khetal replied with a smile. "I realize it would be a lot of work. I would help you out if I could, and I don't expect it all at once. I'm grateful for your help"
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 26 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17 ... 26  Next