The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Revisiting Garnelia - 120 4A

2 posters

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Revisiting Garnelia - 120 4A - Page 5 Empty Re: Revisiting Garnelia - 120 4A

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:17 pm

Kaito nodded. "Thanks."

"We'll explain the situation to Queen Mari if no one else has yet," Shiro told Kaito as he stepped back so that he and Holly could leave. "I'll make sure to let her know you're not being stuck up or anything, but looking after the boy."

Kaito nodded again, and now the boy was eying Shiro thoughtfully, though he just kept on eating.

Shiro held a hand out to Holly. "Shall we?" he smiled at her.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:30 pm

"Let's," Holly smiled back taking his hand and leading him back out of the tent.

She didn't miss the way the boy looked at Shiro, and wondered what he was thinking.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:53 pm

By the time Shiro and Holly left the tent, not only had there been places set for each of the travelers (plus two for Kaito and the boy that were left as empty places for now) but the others had also begun to eat their meal. Cael and Lancaeriel were sitting with Cael's family, Kyrie was next to Mari, Lamruil and Mirania on her other side, and the others were seated randomly.

Shiro let Holly choose her seat first, then sat next to her. Though the group had not been expected, there was plenty of food, and for a while it was mostly quiet while people ate their fill. Only once bellies had begun to be full did the talk pick up.

"So how have things been going since we were last here?" Kyrie asked Mari, sitting back in her chair and looking at her firend curiously. "Things seemed to be quite changed on our journey here, but what about the things that go unseen?"

Mari took a moment to think before she answered, and when she spoke, she spoke slowly, as if choosing her words very carefully.

"Some areas have seen great change," she began, "especially here in the capital, but some areas ... have not changed as much. In some cases because they were not terrible to begin with, but ... as odd as it may seem to you, there are some places where the people liked how things were under Quileth's rule. Those who profited from his tyranny, and wish they could profit as much now."

Kyrie frowned. "In what way?"

Mari gestured towards her counselor. "Maravel? Would you care to explain? You do it so much better than I."

From the other end of the table, Maravel lowered his fork, picked up his napkin, patted his mouth clean, and set the napkin down again, clearing his throat.

"During the General's reign," the man began, "the taxes he demanded were exorbitant. Nearly half of what anyone's earnings or gatherings. Here in the city, it was collected by force - as it was in many other cities and villages. Odd though it may seem, it was better here than other places. Where the General was not personally overseeing what was happening, there were places where magistrates and governors would take advantage of the force necessary to collect what the General demanded, and take far more than was required, keeping the extra for themselves."

"At least here, Quileth punished those who took more than they were supposed to," Mari murmured. "Executing those greedier than he himself was."

Maravel looked at Mari, his expression sad. "While her Majesty has done what she could to stop the practice, arresting and punishing those responsible, there are others who feel as if they somehow have the right to take the places of those who are no longer in power and do the same as they did, that they deserve to have more than their right. Some feel that her Majesty is too soft or too inexperienced, and does not deserve to have the throne."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:25 pm

"That's horrible," Miyuki frowned at such a thought.

"Yet not surprising," Hikaru murmured, "That man wrecked a lot of things during his so-call rule, the way society is governed is one of them."

He remembered spying on this country under an invisibility illusion to try to figure out what he did wrong when his persona had nearly been arrested. In the end he found places that were far too empty, or citizens who lived in far too much fear. Harsh environments like that can bring out the worse in people.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:35 pm

"It is going to be a long road of recovery," Mari murmured sadly. Then she smiled. "That being said, there is progress. I am hopeful. And in the meantime, I have people I trust working in every city to make things the way they were when my parents ruled."

"Some people will need to see just how good things can be for everyone before they will be able to accept the way things have become," Maravel added. "But in time, peace will come."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:16 pm

"Yes, and once people stop living in survival.... mentality," Hikaru paused for a moment, because he was going to say 'mode', "Things will get easier."

So there was hope, it would just take a lot of work and time. Time though was something elves (like any immortal being) had in spades.

"Otherwise, on a more personal level, I hope you're all doing well?"
Lin asked

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:24 pm

"Yes, more or less," Mari smiled at Lin. "I admit, I do feel better now that you're all here. Especially you, Kyrie," she added, turning once more to her friend. "You always did have such good advice."

"Then I look forward to giving more," Kyrie grinned back at her. "Later, perhaps?"

Mari nodded. "Later," she agreed. Turning again to Lin, she continued, "We are all happily settled in, and life is becoming routine again."

"Any thoughts on getting a house in the city?" Cael asked his parents curiously.

"Perhaps eventually," Arphenion answered with a confidence that suggested that he and his wife had spoken of it recently. "But for now, Mari seems loathe to let us leave her."

Mari shuddered. "I couldn't imagine being all alone here in this palace."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:03 am

"Well... you wouldn't be completely alone right?" Lin asked.

She did recall the two young men that were always by Mari's side. If Cael's family could stay here, she was sure so could they, but then again just three people (four if you included Maravel) was a bit small for a whole palace.

Last edited by Kara Winters on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:10 am

"Aside from Maravel and the servants, yes," Mari smiled sadly.

Kyrie frowned. "What about Mathias and Chesnet?"

"Well," Mari replied, "there aren't many people I trust as much as I trust those two, and they're all right here in this room with us. Given that they're the only two with no family to be absent from, I've asked them - and they've agreed - to be my eyes and ears throughout the country, at least until things are stable."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:22 am

"I see..." Lin nodded slowly, that would make things far more lonely, they are her closest friends.

She hoped then things would settle soon, but it was unlikely to happen for many years.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:29 pm

"Once things are more stable here," Mari added, "I'll be doing a bit of traveling around the country myself to see things and to show my face. Show my people that I intend to be an active ruler, one who cares about them and their situations. But I have to be able to trust that if - when - I leave Dekra, things won't fall apart."

"Any idea how long that might take?" Kyrie asked curiously.

The queen shook her head. "A year, a few years ... as I said, there isn't as much resistance in Dekra, though there is some."

As the conversation turned more political, Shiro leaned closer to Holly and murmured softly, "Should we go check on Kaito again? He'll need to know we're going to be given rooms soon - at least, I presume we'll be given rooms soon."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:54 pm

"We probably should," Holly agreed.

Though she privately would admit to herself that the political talk was lost on her. She didn't really get all of this.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:01 pm

Shiro pushed his chair back and rose, excusing himself and Holly, and then he pulled her chair out for her as well. Once they were both up, he led the way to the tent and held the flap open so that Holly could lead the way inside.

Inside, Kaito and the boy were no longer in the room Kaito and Shiro were sharing; they were in the foyer. The boy was holding Kaito's hand and moving a little shakily as they walked towards the door, but they stopped when they saw Shiro and Holly come in.

"Hey," Kaito beamed at them. "Look who's walking again!"

He gestured towards the boy who looked very serious.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:06 pm

"That's wonderful," Holly beamed, "We were just coming in to check on you and to let you both know we'll probably be given rooms soon. Though when we're not sure, everyone is in conversation right now."

Well those that could keep up with the conversation that is.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:22 pm

Kaito nodded and looked down at the boy. "Do you think you'd be more comfortable in a room or here in the tent?" he asked him.

The boy looked up at Kaito, his expression suddenly afraid, and pressed himself against the neko, almost tucking himself under Kaito's massive wing.

Kaito looked at Shiro and Holly again. Switching to English, he explained, "He understands about magic and such all right, but he doesn't seem fond of the idea of being in Dekra, especially being in the palace."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:24 pm

"Have you been to Dekra before?" Holly asked.

She wondered if he had experiences from this place.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:27 pm

He nodded, but didn't expand.

"Might have something to do with C-A-E-L," Kaito added, spelling Cael's name in English letters. "He kind of freaked out when we talked about him."

Shiro's brow furrowed. "Seriously? Why?"

Kaito shrugged. "I have no idea," he admitted.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Holly blinked and wondered when was the last time the boy had been in Dekra.

"Would you like to stay in the tent then? We can set it up in a room I'm sure," Holly suggested.

Especially if he was so uncomfortable.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:40 pm

The boy shook his head at Holly's question. "I want to meet people," he said quietly.

Shiro had to give the kid kudos for at least being brave. If he was so afraid of the place and still wanted to meet the people there, he was quite courageous.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:56 pm

"Okay," Holly smiled warmly, "We'll go out together then."

She wanted him to at least feel comfortable.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:01 pm

Kaito grinned down at the boy. "You ready?"

The boy looked up at Kaito and nodded, slipping his skeletally thin hand into Kaito's. With a smile, Kaito started forward towards the door.

Shiro stepped aside and held the flap open. "After you," he smiled at Holly.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:06 pm

Holly took the lead and stepped back out, holding the tent door open for those who were behind her.

She hoped everything would go well.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:16 pm

Kaito and the boy stepped out of the tent just behind Holly, and the boy blinked at the extreme change of location, even though he had been expecting it. He pressed a little closer to Kaito's side.

"Well, someone's looking much better!" Kyrie beamed when she saw them emerge from the tent. "How are you feeling, ... um ... "

"Twig," Kaito supplied with a smile, gently ushering the boy forward.

"Twig," Kyrie repeated, masking her surprise. "How are you feeling, Twig?"

The boy held Kaito's hand tighter and looked around at the many people that were in the room. "Better," he squeaked finally.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

That was... was a surprising name. Lin didn't know what to expect, but Twig wasn't one of them.

"Would you like a seat? There's two placements so you and Kaito can sit together,"
Miyuki suggested.

It was clear that Twig was quite taken with Kaito, which was a good thing.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Twig nodded shyly, still looking around at everyone, almost as if he were looking for someone in particular, or something.

"Over here," Shoneah smiled at him, gesturing towards the two empty spaces.

"And there is still plenty of food left," the queen added, gesturing towards the trays.

At that, however, Twig shook his head. "Kaito gave me lots of food," he said quietly. "But may I have some water?"

Mari gestured towards one of the serving staff, and a man stepped forward and poured water into a cup from a pitcher he had been holding. As the boy sat down and reached for his cup, Andarien mouthed at Kaito, Twig?

Kaito shrugged and mouthed back, He won't give his real name.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next