The World of Arda
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Investigating Eausin - 119 4A

2 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Investigating Eausin - 119 4A - Page 2 Empty Re: Investigating Eausin - 119 4A

Post by Kara Winters Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:32 pm

"This could turn into an interrogation if they prove to be unfriendly," Lin replied quietly.

She had heard of the concept, but it was under the category of things her father will kill Vincent for if he taught it to her.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:38 pm

"If that's what it requires," Kyrie shrugged.

She would have no trouble with that. She had done it before, after all. And she knew of at least one of her companions who would be quite skilled in helping her out.

"At any rate, sleep," she murmured. "I'll be waking you early."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

https://twoarda.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:45 pm

Lin nodded at this, not quite comfortable with the idea, but had enough practicality in her to know if it was necessary then it was necessary.

Still, she went into an uneasy sleep, because until she saw this army for herself, it was hard to imagine the 'monster' they were chasing. At least though, she slept, just like she thought she would earlier.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:11 pm

The next day they continued to follow after the tracks, which shifted their direction slightly towards the south, but for the most part continued towards the west. Every once in a while, Kyrie would urge Uruloki to take to the air, to scout ahead for them, and at length, shortly past noon, he had news for them.

"Ten miles or so," he told the others, returning to Kyrie's shoulder. "Like Shoneah said, about forty men. They seem to have made a camp - or perhaps I should say a fortification of some kind. Barriers and all. But ..." He hesitated.

"Light Elves?" Kyrie asked him angrily.

He nodded. "Yes ... but they don't look military. A fighting force, yes, but ... not military."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:15 pm

"I don't know if that's a good thing or even more foreboding," Lin admitted once she had time to digest the news, "It makes less sense, and this already is getting to be really uncomfortably weird."

Even upon hearing they were Light Elves, Lin had trouble imagining it, especially had trouble imagining that they were not military. The average person didn't tend to gather up a small army (or mob) and kill people in a neighbouring country.

"I wonder why a fortification, they're not across the border..."

And even if they were spotted, most people didn't think a group small as theirs would be much of a threat.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:17 pm

"There has to be a way to find out something before charging in headlong," Kyrie mused aloud. She sighed and leaned against a tree. "The ideal thing to do would be to send in a spy, but ... we only have Lamruil and Andarien, and Andarien's the only one who has any training at all, and-"

"Bad idea," Shoneah interrupted firmly. "No. He couldn't do it."

Kyrie looked at her, half annoyed and half amused. "Which was what I was about to say," she told her softly. "But Lamruil would not be able to do it either, and if I know Keliac, they wouldn't have any women with them, which rules out Mirania and Wren."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:30 pm

"Could we do what we did to find Jassin, and have one of us disguised as a Light Elf?" Lin asked.

That would be a far more practical solution, then they could based it completely on skill set rather than on looks.

"Because really what we need more is someone who is quick on their feet, mentally and able to get out if things go pear shaped. This is completely out of line with what any of us are familiar with, with Light Elves. It would be, too easy to say something wrong, because we don't even know why a group of people, who are not military are suddenly doing something like this."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:36 pm

"But we don't even know if another Light Elf would be accepted," Daeron pointed out. "And even if that is the case, I would not send in one person alone. It's just too dangerous."

"If I may," Jassin spoke up thoughtfully.

The others turned to him expectantly.

"Rather than getting inside," he pointed out, speaking slowly and patiently, "why don't we simply wait until one of them leaves, and grab him then? If they're all there, they're not out killing, so there isn't as much of a rush; and then no one has to go in on their own."

"Or I could sneak in," Uruloki suggested with a flick of his tail. "I can make myself very small, and if I'm spotted I can more than take care of myself."

"Or, as much as I hate the idea," Wren frowned, "send in one of the women, alone ... a female traveler, looking for aid, maybe food or something, wouldn't raise too much suspicion, perhaps ..."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:39 pm

"But would they help or would they hurt?" Lin asked, "There is just so many unknowns. Jassin's idea has merit. If they're creating a fortification, they don't plan to go any time soon. Though why they suddenly decided to, is just another question to add to the already growing list."

None of it made sense, she just couldn't wrap her mind around. Though she imagined her father could have, but he was cynical on his worse days (though having more kids had helped him over the years).

"And they have to go out foraging or hunting sometime if they have to stay here."

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:43 pm

"The catch is," Kyrie frowned, "if we're going to do that, then time is going to be a factor. In that case, we're going to have to set up the tent somewhere so we can let the others know what's going on. But if we do that too close to the fortification, then they're going to sense something because of the security runes. If we set up the tent there, we're going to have to make sure the runes aren't active."

"We could set it up here, deactivate the runes, let them know the plan, and then keep going," Shoneah suggested.

"Perhaps ask Cael to come with us in case magic is needed," Wren added.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:47 pm

"We can take out the old smaller tents from storage, they're not spelled with security runes, but they're big enough to fit two or three people in one. Keeping our camp still small," Lin pointed out, "And then just camp out the old fashion way."

Last edited by Kara Winters on Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:50 pm

"Even if we do that," Kyrie reasoned, "it may be best to have the main tent up anyways, for interrogation. That way we don't have to worry about noise. It would only alert anyone else who was nearby, and the last thing we need is a full-out assault on our group."

They were good fighters, those who were fighters, but they weren't as numerous as those in the fortification.

"Besides," Daeron added, "we would still need at least two of the smaller tents, which would take up as much room as the one large one."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:46 pm

"You might want to ask then which would be the best place to take the interrogation in the tent," Lin replied.

Though not much, sound could be heard a bit from the (now) foyer, and it was a bit uncomfortable to think of where they would keep such a person if they had to do that.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:49 pm

"I would imagine the dojo or one of the gardens," Kyrie murmured distractedly. She turned back to Uruloki. "Keep an eye on them while we get the tent set up, will you?"

Without a word, the dragon took flight once more.

Very quickly, they had the tent up, and Wren led the way inside. There were a few people waiting in the foyer when they entered, and loved ones rose with relief to greet their loved ones and welcome them back inside.

"Did you find out what's going on?" Earendil asked Lin after greeting her with a tight hug.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:59 pm

Hugging Earendil back, Lin replied, "Not quite. I mean...."

Lin looked sad, it was such an awful sight.

"We found the remains of a massacre, it was awful... but I think it's best to let Kyrie explain it to everyone first."

Because it was so hard to explain in words.

Meanwhile, Miyuki heard the commotion from the foyer and went to join everyone else. Holly was right behind her, that was because Holly was showing Miyuki the different braids and hairstyles that could be used with ribbons. As well as making suggestions to what the ribbons could be runed to do so they would stay in the hair but come out easily.

It was... another pet project of Miyuki's.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:05 pm

The foyer wasn't really big enough to hold everyone, so Kyrie suggested they move to the dining room. Once everyone who was interested had gathered there, she explained to them what the group had found.

The revelation was followed by complete silence. Many of the group were very pale, and some had tears in their eyes.

"So what's the plan?" Earendil asked, swallowing back his anger.

Kyrie looked around before explaining their idea. To deactivate the security runes and watch the fortification, capturing and interrogating someone so that they could find out what was going on before deciding what to do about the fortification itself, and the people inside it.

"If it turns into an all-out assault," she concluded, "we're going to need everyone who knows how to use a weapon. They are at least twice as many as us, especially when we consider that there are those among us who wouldn't be able to help out in a fight."

Andarien, who hadn't let go of Shoneah's hand since she'd come back in, fidgeted uncomfortably.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:22 pm

Miyuki tensed up, it had been a long while since they were put into a situation like this.

"What about those who can't fight?" Holly asked.

She never learned, and neither did Rose, and Daenis wasn't equip to fight (Holly didn't know if she could or not, but certainly not during pregnancy). And that was just naming a few.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:29 pm

"Stay inside, no matter what," Kyrie replied immediately. Her expression was grim. "Keep yourselves out of harm's way. And as helpful as they would be, I think it would be best if at least some of the Pokemon stayed back as well. I know Kaede and Ira would stay here, since Amir and Daenis aren't fighters, but ... possibly Ponydash, and likely Ryo should as well."

"And I would feel better if Xipil would stay inside as well," Shoneah added softly.

Xipil, who was lying on Shoneah's lap, flicked his tail in annoyance; but if he said anything, no one but Shoneah could hear him.

"For now, though, we should have the same people who were already traveling out again," Kyrie added. "We're still ten miles from the fortification. It'll be at least two hours before we can get there. Miyuki, Cael, Lancaeriel - perhaps while we're on our way, you could come up with some kind of protection for the foyer. Help to keep the men out, if they should happen upon the tent."

"Like anti-intention runes?" Lancaeriel asked quietly.

Kyrie shook her head. "It has to be something that would still allow us to take someone through it for questioning."

Lancaeriel nodded thoughtfully. "We'll see what we can come up with," she murmured.

"Good." Kyrie looked around at everyone. "In the meantime, we've got to deactivate the security runes and keep going."

"Be careful, Kyrie," Khetal spoke up quietly. His dark eyes were serious as he looked at his sister. "I know, this is what you do. But be careful."

She just nodded at him. "Always."
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:02 pm

"I'll go and deactivate the runes," Miyuki offered.

She had been thoughtful when Kyrie asked for some protection for the foyer, but would allow them to let someone into the tent all the same. The question was, how would you do that without needing to key people in, which had always been their go-to method because anti-intention runes weren't quite perfect.

Emotions and thought processes were complicated things...

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:07 pm

Kyrie nodded. "Then as soon as you're done, we'll pack up the tent again."

Wren made her way over to Kyrie. "If you don't mind," she murmured softly to her, "I'd rather stay inside this time, if I can."

Kyrie thought about it briefly before nodding. "We shouldn't be more than another hour, and we've no plans on confronting anyone until after that. One person less should be all right."

"Thanks." Still pale, Wren turned and headed towards her bedroom.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Before long, Miyuki was finished deactivating the runes, and plotting a way to protect the foyer. The problem was still intent... she would have asked her mother what she remembered of the Winters' home but with the quick pack up she couldn't ask.

So the kitsune sat in the kitchen, pondering this thought...

"I think it'll have to activate manually but then we would have to know who enters the tent.... maybe..." she murmured.

Meanwhile, Lin was outside the tent, getting ready to go again. A part of her wanted to stay with Earendil, but another wanted to see the end to this.... madness.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:04 pm

But just before the tent was packed away, Earendil stepped outside to join Lin.

"If Wren's staying in, it's better to have someone to take her place," he said before anyone could protest his presence. "And even if I can't track or hear very well, I can still fight, and I can stay quiet enough not to be detected."

Kyrie didn't argue, and Daeron and Mailon quickly had the tent down and put away. Earendil checked his sword again, making sure his sheath was tightly fastened to his belt but that the sword itself was untied just in case it was needed. As he did so, he moved to stand next to Lin, offering her a smile.

"Couldn't let you go out into danger while I was inside, not if I knew it was safe enough for me to be out," he murmured to her.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:11 pm

Lin smiled back, "I understand, dad would do the same with mom, even if he was out of his depth."

She thought about it a bit, because she had heard stories, but she didn't know if she believed him.

"Not that mom would do this, but I heard she got herself into some really weird situations before they were married..."

Probably the most well known was ending up in another world after finding out Nina had disappeared.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Nara-pyon Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:18 pm

"So I've heard," Earendil chuckled softly. At a glance from Kyrie, he shushed himself.

Uruloki glided down from above, landing on Kyrie's shoulder. The others gathered around to hear what he had to say.

"Nothing," he reported. "No movement."

Kyrie nodded. "Then we'll keep doing what we have been. But this time, we'll let you direct us. We should be able to get there in an hour or so."

She signaled them to start off, and they did, moving swiftly and quietly through the jungle growth.
Nara-pyon
Nara-pyon
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kara Winters Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:58 pm

There wasn't any talking any that, only the goal of getting to their destination and getting to the bottom of this. It was far different than just traveling for the sake of traveling, and this being the second day in the roll of such travel was taking it's toll as it was tiring.

Still, there was that goal kept everyone going.

Kara Winters

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next